I have to warn you all, I think you might be hearing a lot about books this week. I tried to get organized and make a list for summer reading. I got the idea from my great friend, Cathy over at 1970KikiProject. She listed the 10 books she planned to read this summer. I thought…I can do this!
I made a list from the tower of books I’ve gathered in recent months from foraging through Goodwill and library book sales. (I didn’t even touch the boxes labeled “To Read”) As I write this, I remember I have a number of books in my car that didn’t make it to the tower. :-( Regardless, that list has been blasted by the Kristen Lending Library and a trip to a Different Goodwill! I’ll start with the list, I won’t get fancy.
SUMMER READING LIST (I’m laughing already!)
1. Digging to America-Anne Tyler -I’ve read a lot of hers and liked most, so we’ll see.
2. A Room Of One’s Own-Virginia Woolf- I hated Mrs. Dalloway but always hear that any writer needs to read this book. Ok…
3. The Big House-George Howe Colt-I like the painting on the cover and it was 49 cents.
4. Auntie Mame-Patrick Dennis-I loved the movie, loved the musical “Mame” and I’ve had this book for years and never got around to it. It has a place in line.
5. Julie & Julia-Julie Powell-I loved the movie and there’s a long story with a copy of this book I hid in a thrift store, then couldn’t find. 49 cents-makes the list.
6. Stardust-Neil Gaiman-I hear a lot of good things about him-Goodwill find…I’ll give him a try.
7. Anansi Boys-Neil Gaiman-Ditto #6
8. Falling Angels-Tracy Chevalier-I’ve loved all of her books that I’ve read- 35 cents at a thrift store. She makes the list.
9. Burning Bright-Tracy Chevalier-Ditto #8 except I had to fork out 99 cents at Goodwill….:-(
10. The Year of Magical Thinking-Joan Didion-I’ve never read her but I’ve heard a lot about this book.
11. Look Again-Lisa Scottoline-Read my first by her a month or so ago and liked it, so here she is again.
12. Flyaway Home-Jennifer Weiner-I always like her and…49 cents ;-)
13.The Red Tent-Anita Diament-Ditto #10
I realize that 13 is not a great number to use if you’re superstitious…I am in some things and not in others. But of course almost as soon as the ink was dry on the list (if Ralph was writing it, this would be True!) I have more to add.
The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver which is part of a loose trilogy set in the Southwest. I enjoyed the other two. Unfortunately, I should have read this before the most recent one I read, Pigs in Heaven. It will be out-of-order but I think I’ll still enjoy it. Then there’s Pretties by Scott Westerfeld which would not cooperate with keeping its cover closed which is why my hand makes a guest appearance. I enjoyed the first of the quartet-Uglies and I’ve put a dent in this and hope to continue denting it. These came from the KLL (Kristen Lending Library) and happily she also has the other two books in the Uglies series. Hope to finish these off before the trip.
At Goodwill today, along with two other wonderful treasures (which I’ll tell you about tomorrow), I found The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson. I had seen this offered in my book club, but passed on it being reluctant, as I have said lately, to spend real money on a book. No problem today…Let’s say it altogther…”49 CENTS!” The Gargoyle sounds interesting.
So there you have it, my summer reading list. I’ll update as required. If you’d like to know what I’m reading you can always click on the Goodreads link on the right side of BCDC. Although for some reason it doesn’t update on here but you’ll see that I’ve read 38 books. It says 40, but 2 I didn’t finish and I can’t feel I can take credit for those. Either way…I’ve read a LOT of books and as you can see, I have my work cut out for me! Feel free to make any suggestions!
Happy Monday!! Read a Book!!